The purpose of this assignment is to assess leadership styles, traits, and practices as a nursing professional, establish the importance of effective interprofessional communication as a leader in nursing, and to explore the role of servant leadership in nursing practice.
Read the study materials on leadership and complete the topic quiz activities to better understand your leadership qualities. This is my results after taking the quiz. According to your answers, you are able to envision a clear direction for your company and communicate your plans in a way that excites others. You seem to have the level of charisma needed to convince people that your ideas are worthwhile. This is an essential skill, because employees will be much more willing to achieve a goal if they are passionate about it. People who excel in this area are innovative visionaries who are confident in their ability to persuade and convince others. They consider it essential to make those they lead aware of, as well as part of, their vision.
Upon completion, summarize and share with your group what you learned about your specific leadership qualities, so you can become familiar with how you are similar and different from your peers when it comes to being a leader.
As a group, review the study materials related to servant leadership. Using what you have learned about the tenets of servant leadership and traits and practices of successful leaders, create a 10-12 slide PowerPoint presentation with speaker notes. Add an additional slide for references at the end of your presentation.
Include the following in your presentation:
1. Each group member: Create a slide that summarizes your leadership style, traits, and practices.
2. Compare the personal leadership styles of your group members, including commonalities between group members’ strengths and weaknesses.
3. Explain why it is important for nursing professionals to be aware of their personal leadership style, traits, and practices.
4. Discuss what leadership traits and styles are necessary to be an effective communicator. Explain the importance of leaders adapting communication approaches when working interprofessionally (across ancillary departments, vendors, community members).
5. Discuss how nursing professionals can benefit from integrating the tenets of servant leadership to empower and influence others as they lead.
6. Discuss how leaders who practice servant leadership and have a strong understanding of their personal leadership traits can successfully lead others and navigate the unique challenges that are part of nursing and health care. Provide two examples that illustrate your main ideas.
You are required to cite to a minimum of three sources to complete this assignment. Sources must be published within the last 5 years and appropriate for the assignment criteria and relevant to nursing practice.
Refer to the resource, “Creating Effective PowerPoint Presentations,” located in the Student Success Center, for additional guidance on completing this assignment in the appropriate style.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and documentation of sources should be presented using APA formatting guidelines, which can be found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a rubric. Please review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
1. Slides summarizing leadership styles, traits, and practices of each group member are presented.
2. A concise and well-developed comparison of the personal leadership styles of group members is presented. The commonalities and various strengths and weaknesses among the group members are clear and insightful.
3. A well-supported explanation of why it is important for nursing professionals to be aware of their personal leadership styles, traits, and practices is presented. An understanding of the importance of personal awareness in leadership professionals is evident.
4. A well-supported and thorough discussion on the leadership traits and styles of effective communicators, and the importance of adapting communication approaches when working interprofessionally, is presented.
5. The benefits of integrating the tenets of servant leadership to empower and influence as nursing leaders are thoroughly discussed. Strong support and rationale are provided.
6. A well-supported discussion for how leaders who practice servant leadership and understand personal leadership traits can lead and navigate challenges of nursing and health care is presented.
7. The content is written clearly and concisely. Ideas universally progress and relate to each other. The project includes motivating questions and advanced organizers. The project gives the audience a clear sense of the main idea.
8. The layout is visually pleasing and contributes to the overall message with appropriate use of headings, subheadings, and white space. Text is appropriate in length for the target audience and to the point. The background and colors enhance the readability of the text.
9. The writer uses a variety of sentence constructions, figures of speech, and word choice in distinctive and creative ways that are appropriate to purpose, discipline, and scope.
10. Writer is clearly in control of standard, written academic English.
11. Sources are completely and correctly documented, as appropriate to assignment and style, and format is free of error.
The purpose of this assignment is to assess leadership styles, traits, and practices as a nursing professional, establish the importance of effective interprofessional communication as a leader in nursing